Sunday, November 5, 2023

The Top Five Regrets of the Dying. πŸ•ŠπŸŒ…

Photo credit: https://unsplash.com/@cant89

Many of us don’t want to face our own, or our loved ones’, mortality. It can be a very scary and difficult reality to deal with. In the last stages of life, people look back on their lives with great memories, but also with regrets - some painstakingly so. Many times our fears of not knowing what to do, or being punished, or ridiculed, or catering to ego, creates our disconnect with our true self, and we fail to recognize what we need to fully ascend. 

Bronnie Ware, a caregiver in palliative care, shared the wisdom she received from her dying patients in her book “The Top Five Regrets of the Dying. A Life Transformed by the Dearly Departing.” I’ve known of this book over the years, and find it interesting that these regrets are universal. This blog will recap and share what we can we take away to live our best lives, before it is too late.

“I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.” 

This is probably one of the most difficult, and worthy, lessons to take to heart. Many of us live our lives according to what other people will think of us, and we miss many opportunities for our own growth and joy. Living in our Spiritual Sovereignty (click here to read my full blog on this topic) keeps us present in our everyday existence, and allows us to be true to ourselves and our own unique spiritual journey.

“I wish I hadn't worked so hard.” 

Working hard and succeeding can be very fulfilling, but a balance between our professional and personal lives helps us enjoy what we have acquired. Unfortunately, once a life moment is missed, it cannot be retrieved. As life events come and go (and go by more quickly as we get on in our years), knowing when to tap the breaks on our office time, and be fully present in our personal lives, makes a huge difference in ourselves and our loved ones.  

“I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.” 

Often we are trained not to express our feelings because it can be uncomfortable to those around us. The feelings within us are there for a reason. They give us guidance when they are listened to so we can respond accordingly. If you would like to read my blog on The Five Natural Emotions Not to Suppress, and how they serve us, click here.

“I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.” 

Connecting with people and staying connected, brings joy and comfort. Having relationships with people who know you and your history makes life more meaningful. “One of the most beautiful qualities of true friendship is to understand and to be understood.” - Lucius Annaeus Seneca. So true ❤️

“I wish I had let myself be happier.” 

Focusing on the negative, and beating ourselves up for our mistakes, is self sabotage. Life brings us challenges so we can grow. Our journey can be fleeting and uncertain, and it can also be wonderful. Allowing ourselves to be in the present, and aware of what is going on around us, (and the opportunities all around us for growth as well as joy) gives our lives meaning. 

Can you relate to the above? What can you change now before it is too late? 

Follow me on Instagram for daily posts and subscribe to my YouTube channel (my links are on the sidebar)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Denying the Truth Doesn't Make it Go Away.

  The difference between dwelling and ruminating on the past (and feeling like a victim), and being willing to get clarification (and expose...